View Single Post
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 21:54   #8
RJF

Bought a V50 last week. I agree with the footrest issue but to be honest there isn't that much room in the footwell. Has anyone drove a 3 series BMW? The footwell area is approx the same size as the S40/V50, however the BMW has a footrest. The problem though is that you hit the clutch pedal on the way down to the footrest, and again when you lift off. Given the space available, I prefer no footrest.

There is a definite safety issue with the handbrake though. I agree that it does look awkward but there is no problem in everyday use. However, take a look what's between the driver's left hand and the handbrake. Cup holders !! If these are in use then the handbrake operation isn't just awkward - it's dammed near impossible to apply the hanbdbrake without your arm hitting the cups / bottles or whatever. What do you think is going to happen if you forget about the hot tea or coffee you've just bought, and you reach for the handbrake? I'm currently awaiting reply from Volvo regarding this issue. It's likely that due to design constraints, there was no room available to re-locate the handbrake for right-hand drive vehicles. But I wonder if their designers considered the implications of locating cupholders between the driver and the handbrake? For a company who pride themselves on safety...
I'll post any response I receive from Volvo regarding this issue.