Thread: lpg conversion
View Single Post
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 08:35   #28
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezF View Post
This is interesting, Dave. I've had several occasions recently when it has come on after 20-50 miles, but seems to have worked perfectly before that.

Thing is, I went up to Tim Williams recently, we ran the car with his wide band lambda sensor on petrol and lpg and after adjusting the wastegate actuator, it was running really well on both fuels. 30 minutes down the M1 sitting in traffic, the damned lambda sensor light came back on again!

I've also had the turbo going into limp home mode when running on gas over the last month or two, it goes back to normal after five mins on petrol.

Re renewal of parts, I've had everything, including a new ignition coil and lambda sensor.

When you mean about the installers running it on the road, do you mean with a wide band lambda as they don't have one?

cyclogenesis, very interesting that you have the same problem, do you have the same boost issue too?

Regards,

Jez
Hi,

When I go out with my lpg guy he has his laptop plugged into the BRC ecu (with a cable going from under the bonnet and through the passenger window) and a code reader in the odb port. The code reader monitors the long term fuel trims in real time. we go for a drive and if the fuel trims start creaping up or down he adjusts the percentage of gas/air just by maybe 1 percent saves it and we drive a bit more. We kept doing this till it all settled down. It was all done on the fly without stopping and didnt take very long. You need to make sure you do a few wot tests though as sometimes it will flick back to pertol becuase of pressure issues. this can be sorted by either increasing the maximum pressure allowed (as in my case) or lowing the minimum pressure allowed (if cutting out when gas low)

This does seem a common issue as I have seen this quite a few times before. Its not an issue with any of the hardware, more of incorrect setup once fitted. I gave this advise to another guy and this was his response.

"A big thank you to davew. Iemailed my installer and copied the reply you gave me about the 20% and needing to reset the system, and lo and behold it was sorted out today. We drove up a long straight road and on petrol the ratio was 8.9% but on gas it was 22%, hence the light. The engineer increased the amount of gas going to the injectors by a small amount and the ratios were then comparable with petrol."

Last edited by davew; Jun 6th, 2009 at 08:38.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote