View Single Post
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 23:57   #11
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
However are you sure that the 5.5J wheels aren't TUV approved?
No one - TÜV or any EU inspection stand above the factory specifications and amendments - Volvo disaproved them. But we all know reallity isn't always by the books.

Quote:
Virtually every German Amazon that I have seen pics of seems to have wider steels, and is also on their 'H' plates, which denote that it is (supposedly...) unmodified. Or is this just a case of the TUV testers not knowing?
Well, KPZ ("Kronprinz" - crownprince) wheels comes from Germany - and yes, it must be a matter of TÜV people/inspection guys not knowing.

Quote:
Also, there appear to be quite a few 5.5J wheels out there which are not banded (or claimed not banded). What are their origins?
Me not know - If the wheels doesn't exceed the allowed wheel track/ET - then they are OK (Minilite's are 5.5" and OK - if one like's that style).

Quote:
Estate & 1800 wheels are indeed not the same - according to an 1800 guru, the contour of the wheel rim sections are also slightly different, something to do with an extra ridge for holding wheel trim rings?
See my answer to Alf (above) - the contour-thing is actually a safety feature that came arround 1968 - making the tire stay on the rim/wheel if it flatens on the highway.

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Jun 9th, 2009 at 00:06.
ClassicVolvoShop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClassicVolvoShop For This Useful Post: