View Single Post
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:03   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon J View Post
This is complete nonsense! The volume of fluid has nothing whatsoever to do with pressure. And two opposing pistons will displace exactly the same amount of fluid as one when the brakes are applied.

And who would be crazy enough to think of putting four pistons the same size as the single one in a caliper? That would give you twice the clamping force (not four times) which would totally upset your brake balance. Bigger brakes in the sense of bigger disc diametre, make sense (more or less) but just putting bigger calipers and pistons on is madness. Even the 320mm brakes that Volvo offered use exactly the same piston size as the standard calipers thus maintaining the brake balance for the ABS.
nonsense?????? how do you come by that conclusion????? you need to be able to put the braking fluid under pressure to create pressure on the disc with the pads, if your master cylinder piston reaches the end off its travel before generating the required pressure then you will not get the same braking performance

as for the sizes, im talking about off the shelf aftermarket alternatives, it was just for example to make it easier to explain, in reality a small difference in caliper sizes can have adverse effects on your braking system.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote