View Single Post
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 21:15   #6
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: swap fuel injection to carburettor

I'm surprised that the carb car would be gutsier that the injection one. It all points to probs with the injection system. Firstly make sure its got some nice clean engine oil in it + Volvo oil filter. Won't make much difference to performance, but at least the engine will last.

I would bet that all the injectors, throttle body, air meters etc are all gummed up with gubbins. Strip the entire injection system down and give it a good clean. Be careful with the Air Mass Meter, very sensitive, clean it gently only.

Check the spray pattern of the injectors. I rigged up a system using a pressure brake bleeder and a bench power supply to gently trigger the injectors open. I found mine were seriously drippy and squirty rather than the good atomisation you'd expect. Ended up replacing all four + cold start which was leaking, but spraying well. Expensive

Then reassemble and check the tuning, CO idle etc. I would then add something like Forte Gas Treatment and give an 'Italian' tune, ie: give it a good thrashing and see how it runs then. I wouldn't do any thrashing about with it until you've verified that all is well with the injection otherwise you might damage it.

You might also verify that the exhaust is in good order and flowing freely. Sometimes replacement non Volvo exhausts can have a stifling effect on the engine. Particularly when they put one on voiced for a 1.4

Hope that helps

Should be food for thought anyway.

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote