View Single Post
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:11   #29
dodgyken
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90caravanpuller View Post
, allows motorway driving through some absolutely spectacular and beautiful countryside, mountainsides, bridges and tunnels.
I'd recommend a trip.
I go up there to "play" whenever I can - do a Youtube search for BMW 525 Alp Pass. Not to long ago I cycled from Zurich to Locarno in 1 day - 210KM + over the top of the Gotthard pass.

Quote:
With Cruise on the engine braking works. Holds 90kmh no problem (80 kmh in Switzerland & Germany ).
In geartronic "D" it doesn't always and can catch you out as the caravan tries to overtake the car.
I agree - at lower speeds it doesn't sit naturally with the gearbox ratios. At 100kmh it has no problems - with big hills needing a manual tug down into 5th

Quote:
Speed creeping up is a worry too with on the spot fines of 80 euros. Locals never speed!
Garbage - we speed all the time - we just know whether cameras and hidden radars tend to lurk so don't get caught
Quote:
With careful driving you can get 60 mpg going from the south side of the tunnel to Lugano. 50 miles.
What?? Even up the big hill from Bellinzona to Lugano??
Quote:
I couldn't drive on the way back (ask me later) so my wife, who previously had only towed back from a weekend in Hayling Island, managed the 1000 mile trip home in 4 days. We had some strong side winds in France, and she commented twice on the lack of engine braking especially when being overtaken by trucks when abiding by advice signs for caravans to descend hills at 80kph.
She tends to ease off the throttle or brake as they push the caravan to one side as they are drawing level.
In my experience of driving across Europe you are best served at a tow speed of just above 90kmh - that way you avoid entirely trucks overtaking you.

Quote:
Oh! and a word of warning! The rear compartment 12 volt doesn't switch itself off when you park and lock up. After 2 nights of running a large camping fridge through the socket we got in the car one morning to find a flat battery.
The V70 will automatically turn off if the battery gets too low - but I have experienced the same feature with the rear 12V
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dodgyken For This Useful Post: