View Single Post
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 19:32   #59
minesa240x3
loyalty

So still no definitive answer to my question then?
I have heard many variations of how much people THINK it's safe to tow but NO actual fixed point of law.
I'm not having a go at Niguk for being helpful and trying to make sure people are safe but"As a rule TRY to keep your trailer/caravan 85% or under"is as helpful as me saying try to keep your weight to 80% as I THINK it would be safe!
I guess until the powers that be stand up and make a definative rule then we better just keep guessing.
Volvo clearly state that my car can tow 1600kg so who has the technical knowledge to argue with volvo who designed tested and manufactured the vehicle,Who then clearly state this in thier owners manual for the driver to abide by.
It doesn't say "Well it might be ok if you take it steady".

As I said before I take very great care to match the height of the car ball hitch when it is fully laden with the caravan hitch and at the same time making sure the noseweight is 75kg,I also have twin swaybars as you can adjust the friction plates on them thus increasing the force needed to rotate them and although folks keep saying fit an ALKO hitch I personally can't see how such a small set of pads (2) about the size of pound coins rubbing on a grease free ball measuring 52mm can have the same amount of sway braking as the swaybars.
And just so everybody knows my car is underpowered but only if you want to chase after other maniacs zooming about forgetting they have a van on the back Lol.
I was truly amazed that she pulled the van very easily up the long drawn out hill heading past weston supermare towards bristol up the motorway,I truly had to ease off the pedal.
Anyways I have just realised that I have hijacked this thread so please forgive me And all drive safely and enjoy life.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote