Thread: Buying a 360GLT
View Single Post
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 00:46   #7
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: Buying a 360GLT

Yeah, my front valance is a little rusty, but you can't see it from the outside....its one for the 'next year' list ;)

Advantages:
+ Performance better than you'd think, or than people expect...bit of a weapon at the lights, not least due to the traction.
+ Totally reliable. Ours hasn't broken down since new.
+ Safe, given its age.
+ Individual...they're becoming rare..
+ Comfort...arguably the best seats going? Certainly better than the ones in our 940, and they're pretty damn good!
+ Build quality....they're pretty solid, and dont rattle much.

Disads:
- Fuel Economy not good around town, but the carb version can do 50mpg on the motorway...that's better than todays 1.4 corolla!
- Are 'detuned'...don't give good top-end power (ie: above 3000rpm), although this is easily rectified...
- Are old fashioned - wind noise, etc not up to modern standards
- They rust a bit...

Most of the 'genuine' cars have gone - only the very best are still owned by 'normal' motorists, hence auto trader normally won't help you. Look out on this forum (and auto-trader....you never know...), and be prepared to travel. A tank of fuel will get you across the country, and its worth £35 to get a good example, surely?

The three types of cars you'll find are...
1) Bangers (thrashed & not maintained....run for 2 years then scrapped)
2) (Like mine is currently) People still hanging on cos they're so much better than modern cars in some ways. Probably the best to buy.
3) (As mine is soon to become) Enthusiasts pieces. Rarely for sale.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote