View Single Post
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 22:34   #1
carl4u44
Master Member

Default How to: Changing the rear support arm bushes.

Hi folks. OK I would love to set up a how to technical section on this with plenty of pictures. I'm hoping the admin might consider opening up the article section for this? Or indeed moving this thread to the article section. Here anyone who has successfully carried out work to their car can add it to the how to section, this means people can get an idea in searching for and solving their problems, be it noises, clunks, electrical and leaks etc etc.

Recently I heard a knocking noise coming from the rear arch of my car, it also squeaked heavily going over bumps. I removed the back wheel and checked all the bushes, shocks, drop links, roll bar bushes in that area where the noise was (anything rubber inside metal). At first I thought it was the handbrake cable knocking against the sill but it turned out to be the 'front rear support arm bush', as it has a lot of play in it and the rubber was heavily deteriorated.

The photo above shows the easy location of the rear support arm.

A closer view again, sorry about the small writing its my first attempt. Your wheel brace's flat tip can be used to prize for 'free play'!

You will need a press for the job or a heavy vice to push the bushes in and out, a hydraulic press makes it a lot easier, although expensive its a good investment for this work.

Removal of the support arm is simple but some good sockets and wd 40 is required

I ordered 2 new bushes from Volvo parts online a £5 each plus £5 delivery (£15) in total.

When they arrive hopefully by Saturday I will update this post with pictures and in bullet point of step by step. If any one knows how I can edit my thread instead of replying to my post I would be most grateful.

Will update soon!

Last edited by carl4u44; Nov 12th, 2009 at 22:50.
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote