View Single Post
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 05:16   #33
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: £1500 budget

Mark, as much as I applaud your wish to get the car back on the road - so do I and several others, but throwing £1500 at this car in the blind hope of having a good family car is a little silly - and I'm not getting at you.

The fact is, none of us know what the engine problem is, and the £540 you're likely to pay for towing (minimum is £1 a mile in my experience) is probably needed for the engine repair, cause it stands to reason if the repair by a mechanic was going to be £150 (as we were quoted) they would have spent that, Mot'd the car and put it up for maybe £1200/1300 reserve.

Fact is you're probably looking at this scenario:
Towing £540
Brakes £200 (maybe more if the calipers are damaged)
Engine £500 (ballpark if it has to come out and a mech do it)
MOT £45
Others £50 (minimum, there are always 'others')

That's around £1335 plus purchase, plus refurb of wheels (£200), and may need tyres if they've been on five years or so, as they deteriorate due to exposure to the elements - many good tyre fitters recommend changing at 5 yrs even if they look good.

On the other hand, f you can afford to do it, even if it means doing it in stages, then keep the car long-term, it will undoubtedly pay you back; not in resale value so much as the use you will get from it, and pride of ownership. So please don't let me, or anyone else put you off if it's what you really want to do; but please be prepared for the long haul.

What is a Sport Edition in good condition worth in real terms, Chesh, Sony?

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Dec 3rd, 2009 at 05:26.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote