View Single Post
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 23:55   #195
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: SE handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaz'in View Post
Yes my recently acquired Black one handles very well indeed, don't forget they have been dropped by an Inch, plus uprated suspension too, and a rear Anti roll bar, plus the thicker front one which 93 on Turbo's had anyway.

Sthrow in some bigger (wheels 16x7 ) so 205 rubber on some Volvo alloys that actually filled the arches thus giving a slightly wider track.

My Silver car has very tired Nivo's on it, but the scruffy black one has good suspension so show me how good they should be.

I was reading an article recently on line whilst researching self levelling suspension and found an article by some of our American cousins where they decide to test self levelling, having heard bad things about it (much as I have).

They tested two big pick up trucks, one with and one with out self level rear shocks and loaded them up with some serious weight, oil drums from memory and set off on a quiet piece of highway, and to test it they decided to make a swift lane change.

The truck with standard suspension almost lost control to the point it scared the test driver, whilst the Nivomat type reacted like a truck with almost no weight on board.

Their findings were a no brainer winner. I must admit the knackered shocks on my silver car still do their job although the take a while to level themselves, but I did have a 220lb subwoofer 3x2x2 feet on board a while back and it was positioned at the very back of the car..the tailgate only just shut, so placing this very heavy lump as far back behind the rear wheels as possible.

I can honestly say I could 'not' tell it was on board.

J
Food for thought, and no mistake.

I've not really looked into it, but keep wondering how much of the SE type setup can be transferred to the 960. Not looked under a 940 at th efront, but I imagine there's not much difference? Obviously the 960 has the indy rear, but they have nivomats - poss interchangeable with the (upgraded?) ones from the SE?

Course, it's probaby not of interest to hardcore 940 SE guys, but the 960 chassis is definitely out of its depths with the power of the 3 litre six, and would go a lot quicker if it really handled.

Cheers,

T