View Single Post
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 16:08   #24
orbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1anuk View Post
I was talking to a Volkswagen salesman today about replacing our V70.

I was giving him the old "it will only do 25mpg around town" and the DPF warning lights coming on every 2 weeks bit when he told me that his new boss in the sales department used to work for Volvo...........ABRIDGED

Something to think about if your about to order any new car with a DPF fitted.

Brian.
I previously had a 2007 Nissan X-Trail and after concluding the DPF was a major problem unless you do mostly Motorways, (I live in rural Devon) I decided to change cars after 8 months due to the DPF hassle. I still wanted a diesel for the torque and potential economy so went for a 2005 pre-DPF, S60 D5. A good move in many ways!

I understand however that all modern diesels do not use a standard DPF and some manufacturers, possibly some Fords, do not remove particulates by burning off the filter deposits, but instead an additive is automatically squirted into the exhaust over a period of time to remove deposits. This additive has to be topped up as a service item. I presume this complies with the latest Euro regs.

Meanwhile, perhaps older euro 3 dieselsare cars that will become more desirable because they are more economical all things considered?

Probably just wishful thinking!

Last edited by orbiter; Mar 3rd, 2010 at 16:10. Reason: typo
orbiter is offline   Reply With Quote