View Single Post
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:04   #285
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot617 View Post
The Ford Kuga weights above are misleading. On the 85% rule a Kuga can only tow just under 1400 Kgs. The 1600kgs quoted for the 2wd XC60 is more realistic - but for that sort of tow I'd go for the d5 AWD myself.
This is a never ending debate. Many years ago 85% kerb weight was decided upon as a recommended towing limit by goodnesss knows who & for no particular reason. Even for new drivers the limit os 100% kerb weight or manufacturers limit - whichever is lower. For older drivers it is the manufacturers recvommended limit.

Personally I would be propared to tow a heavy & low 4 wheel trailer but only a much lighter single axle caravan. 1600kg would probably be my caravan limit for either the Volvo D3 or the Kuga.

I take manufacturers figures to be the ability of the car to get the load moving on a slope and to be a measure of the mechanical strength of the vehicle. In the case of the Volvo this was most peculiar in the 2010 range where the 2.4D was 1500kg manual but 2000kg automatic. Unless they assume we are all totally inadequate with the clutch this must surely indicate doubt about something in the manual drive train.

I agree the D5 is the much better bet. I just feel that for 2011 Volvo had considerably reduced the number of buyers for whom the 2wd cheaper alternative is the sensible choice. This is a real pity.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisE For This Useful Post: