Thread: D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Intermittent "Engine Service Required"
View Single Post
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 17:28   #7
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
Matt , fault codes were checked by two different people ( not me) and there were no fault codes which is strange as I got the message ' engine system service urgent' on the DIM . I was advised that the engine mounted mechanical injection pump sucks fuel through adequate for normal driving except for starting and high engine load situations such as accelerating hard when the electric pump is then switched in with a relay for a brief burst . I wired in an ammeter into the fuel pump to see when it was kicking in and found that its off most of the time for motorway cruising at low speeds but put your foot down or even starting a slight incline when you see the instantaneous fuel figure on the computer dropping and it kicks in straight away . This might not be your problem but worth keeping in mind . My Bosch pump was replaced with a Denso pump from an old Toyota , its been running for 28k miles with no problems .
That's quite interesting. At what RPM usually your car went into limp mode? Mine appears at around 3500-4000 RPM and I know that's when the turbo governor opens the bypass for the fumes in turbo. So it might be something with my turbo but I'll have a look at the pump too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bic1 View Post
The only time I got that message on the DIM was when my swirl control arm broke.

After replacing it, it still regularly came disconnected and I would get the message again whenever I put a high load on the engine.
I think that with the newer models the modified the swirl arm but I'll check that as well. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
As far as I know the ' engine system service urgent' message can be triggered by a large number of different issues some of which will also trigger limp mode . With my problems I found that the limp mode could be switched out and engine back to normal just by switching off and restarting again but it took a bit of getting used to as it happened quite a few times when I was overtaking on a hill and had to drop back .
It's the same in my case. After restarting the engine everything works fine back again.
v_matt_v is offline   Reply With Quote