Thread: Delayed
View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2010, 16:28   #30
Daleman
Master Member

Default Extra MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamTB View Post
I waited for the FWD version to be available and was going to order the D3FWD as it was more fuel efficient. Then I saw the MY11 specification with only 1.1 MPG difference (combined) on the Auto. As a result I ordered the D5 AWD.

My D5 AWD auto SE LUX Premium was ordered mid April. Delivery has just ben confirmed towards the end of June. Fingers crossed!

As I have said earlier, delivery would have been delayed if I wanted the new 18" wheels.
Yes in theory that 1.1mpg difference between the D3 auto and the D5 Auto seems very little and going for the D5 does seem a sensible way to go.

But I think most of Volvos claimed fuel consumption figures are a work of fiction with real life figures being significantly less than claimed .

Current D5 autos seem to be lucky to turn in much more than 35mpg.

The model year 2011 D5 is supposed to be more economical but I will believe it when we get some real life owner figures .

The other approach is if you don’t need the extra D5 performance or all wheel drive put the £2500 extra you pay for the D5 towards paying for the extra fuel you are going to use and make that gap of 1.1mpg into a 10+ MPG increase in MPG over 80000 miles. Because that’s what the sums work out at or a 20MPG saving over the next 40,000 miles.

Yes that’s equal to getting the equivalent of at least 55-60 MPG out of your D3 XC60 auto over 40000 miles.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote