View Single Post
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 22:57   #1
definethelight

Default Intermittent White Smoke S60 D5 185 Engine

Hi, This is my first post on a forum - so I apologise in advance if I've made any mistakes. I have searched other threads for an answer to this problem but have become confused and could not find anything specific. I have a 2005 S60 D5 with 148,000 miles on the clock. Always main dealer serviced. With the exception of a few electrical niggles it's generally been a reliable car. A recent repair by my local main dealer was coupled with a free of charge 'software update' something to do with fuel re-generation... Not sure what that's all about - anyway, All was well for a few days, then having travelled for around 20 minutes on the motorway (not fast as the traffic was terrible - probably around 50-60 mph) I noticed a plume of white smoke in the rear view mirror. Initially I thought that the car behind had locked up it's brakes! I pressed on, and then felt a judder, and a strange almost rasping sound that lasted a second. At that point another cloud of white smoke was ejected. I pulled into the services and inspected. The smoke was coming from the exhaust. Not taking any chances I got relayed to the Volvo dealer. They started the car the next day and couldn't replicate the problem. The AA chappy thought that I had either blown a head gasket (but the coolant level was normal) or the EGR valve could be faulty. Volvo said that the diagnostic equipment had not detailed any errors - and all is normal. I had the oil changed - just to be sure and went away thinking it was another niggle. A day later (prob 150 miles later) the same thing happened. I tried to make it to the Volvo garage before the symptoms stopped - but after 10 miles or so (driving gently) I could not make it misbehave. It's so bad that other motorists flash me - an point to the car as they pass - Embarrassing or what! Volvo kept the car for 3 more days, and tested (occasionally) and still claim it's perfectly ok. The car goes to an independent tomorrow - to see if he can shed some light on it. I was wondering if anyone here had experienced anything similar? Could this be DPF? or is that black smoke? Sorry to ramble on - Thanking you in advance, Scott.
definethelight is offline   Reply With Quote