View Single Post
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 10:24   #7
Bill_56
Premier Member

I think your was probably right, that every Volvo diesel since 2005 has DPF.

As others have said, Volvo deploy a different DPF technology (Eolys adittive) for smaller engines, not sure whether that includes yours but I think it does. It's difficult to get any hard facts as to how these technologies work, and whether eolys systems still need to actively regenerate.

See here, and decide for yourself, though it suggests to me that eolys systems still need to regenerate, and that thery still use fuel-enrichment to do so. But I could be wrong:

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/sales-se...te-filter.aspx

From above page:
Quote:
The fuel additive, whilst promoting regeneration to burn off soot particles, leaves a small ash residue which cannot be burnt off. It is therefore necessary to replace DPFs requiring the fuel additive at the 75,000 mile service interval.
Based on that, you may want to confirm with a dealer whether it applies to your car. If the Volvo web page is accurate and if your 73k mille car uses eolys additive, and it hasn't yet had it's 75k service, then I'd imagine that could be quite an expense just around the corner. You might want to get a quote for the service including DPF replacement. If it has had the service, maybe worth making sure the DPF was replaced?

Last edited by Bill_56; Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:30. Reason: clarified source of quote
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote