Thread: Engine: D52447: - Thermostat replacement - Guide
View Single Post
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 19:59   #6
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Great job as usual David.
Your vacuum fill system, it it the Draper or Machine Mart one? I have been thinking of getting one for doing the MG. I have just started to strip it to swap the thermostat housing before I sell it (its a V6 and the inlet manifolds have to be removed!). What are the vacuum kits like to use? Is the quality any good?
Rob.
Hi Rob

The vaccum kit is the Laser one, which I am sure you have spotted is the same as Sealey, Franklin, Draper and a few others...

I ended up going to Halfords to buy it, as with their Trade Card discount, it was cheaper than Ebay or the local motor factors!

I dont know if you saw the review of these tools in Car Mechanics mag a year or so ago - they compaired about 6 tools, and this one came up best for value and the only negative that the kit got was that you need to remove the airline from the unit to attach the pickup hose to the fresh coolant. In reality, this is irrelevant, as when you turn the value, you can leave the gauge fitted and check to see if you have any leaks - obviously you would spot the drop in vaccum. The kit that I think got the huighest ward was one that you bought custom expansion bottle caps - but that was £££ as it was not one size fits all, and at £15-£30 a cap, would get expensive. It also had two valves on it so that you could switch the airline off then open the coolant feed with no disconnecting.

The kit comes with four rubber sleves so that pretty much any header tank will be manageable. I used one extra ring for the XC90, and the Beemer I did fitted straight away without any extra ring.

For me, with two cars done now, it saved heaps of time as it was really as simple as it looks. ... and we all know how much a pain some cars are for airlocks.

David

Last edited by BestGear; Mar 6th, 2011 at 20:01.
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote