View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 23:23   #17
c_lee
VOC26332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilydad View Post
Hi Colin.

Sounds like you're getting on with it nicely.

Try breakers yards for your stab bracket, amazing what they've got lying around. Place near us has an absolute mountain of old towbar brackets. Have you got a picture of what it looks like? Maybe off google images/Volvo catalog etc? I'll have a look for you next time I go over, but need to know what it's like.

Ref fridge on gas, and heater: we used to find that it took ABSOLUTELY AGES for the gas to pump through from the locker to the fridge and heater (there's very little pressure on bottled gas thru a regulator), but once it's through, it will fire up ok. Are the main gas taps for the fridge/heater open? I can't remember whether they should be in line or across the pipes, but we had this problem, and then they both came to life when we moved the main taps. If you can get the cooker lit, then all the taps should be aligned the same way. Might be worth checking. You just have to click till you get a flame, and it isn't that easy to see even when it's lit. Most sites are hookups these days anyway, so we just used to use ours on mains. Also remember that older caravan fridges don't make any noise at all when they start up.
Sorry for the late reply - had no broadband for 5 days till today - lots of emails/etc to get through.

Re the fridge - I got the cooker lit so I have now sorted the direction to turn the taps on the gas manifold. I'll have to try again with the fridge in a few days once I have finished sorting the damp/etc in the shower/toilet as I've had it completely stripped - had a leak from the awning rail, now removed, refitted and re-sealed and a leak from the shower tray - toilet floor boarding and 4 joist ends repaired etc. Almost finished the wall re-boarding in there today - rest of van appears OK and we knew about the damp toilet compartment before we handed over the relatively small amount of money.

Like I said before - I think I now have a project.

Hopefully most, if not all, of the time consuming re-sealing, re-boarding and re-building should be finished this week if my back lasts out. Hope to check the running gear and brakes too this week.

Re tow-bar attachment.
I'll get a photo of the tow ball fixing taken in the next few days and post it.

I'm off work this week just to sort the caravan but I'm up to my neck in it at present as well as reconfiguring my network ( cable modem & router changed for cable modem with router - and I have several static IP devices on my internal network ) since my broadband was restored today.

Anyway thanks for the reply Oily, some things there for me to think on.

Colin
The Following User Says Thank You to c_lee For This Useful Post: