View Single Post
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 07:09   #10
PunkDebutante

Quote:
Originally Posted by After_Shock
Funny problem this, I work in a dealer and have been their 8 months now and have only seen one car with a failed/faulty ETM, hardly a common fault and appears to be getting blown out of proportion by watchdog.

Ive asked the question in the past at work as obviously this gets mentioned alot on the american boards and the techies at work say the faulty ETM's in the states were used on nearly all the cars, however the ETM's on european cars which cause problems are much rarer.

Considering the ETM is a part sourced by Volvo and not made by them, and its also a part that is causing problems after many thousands of miles in nearly all cases people are surprisngly quick to have a go at Volvo and blame them for it! As they have said they will fix problems without charging people personally I think they are being more than generous as im fairly sure they will be getting sod all back from the parts manufacturers.
Volvo has NOT said it will fix the problem without charging. I have paid out over £800 to have mine fixed. Volvo UK has actually said it is going to do nothing about it except now have a software upgrade in April for those with ETM's that have already PAID to have it replaced.

And so you know, the ETM part is EXACTLY the same on the US and UK cars. My father owns 28 Volvo dealerships and has this in writing so guess what... it is going to fail. Your local Volvo dealership may be lucky as far as ATM failures go but mine has numerous ones in this last 6 months.

And lastly, Volvo is one the sourced the part and knew of the problem. This faulty part has almost killed numerous people, including me. So quit spouting off about stuff you honestly don't know about.