View Single Post
Old Apr 29th, 2002, 19:33   #4
Dave M

Don't wanna be Big headed here, but yes it is as easy as the Haynes manual makes it. The problem is caused by the hardening of the seal, then the seal starts to break down and leak oil!!!

I did mine not so long ago and it really was that easy, if memory serves me correctly you need a 10mm socket on a 3/8 ratchet (Due to the shortage of space at the front!!) then I believe it's the 5mm allen key on a ratchet head. Remove the Rotor arm, this should bare three 10mm bolts (I think!!). Remember to mark the position of the Dizzy in relation to the head, there isn't a problem here as the Dizzy can only be installed one way as it's keyed to the cam inside the head but it helps. The seal is a lip seal and should be coloured orange. Be sure that you have the right part as Volvo will argue that it's a two part is a two part seal one small, one large 'O' ring. It's not.. It's orange, one piece , and approximately 5mm thick.

Going back to the car, Use carburettor Cleaner and some light emery cloth to remove the hardened oil inside the cap etc. The seal just pulls out leaving the Dizzy rather "Slack" Don't panic,It may even fall out, if not it may require GENTLE persuasion!!. It is advisable to have new Rotor arm and cap handy as they will become contaminated with oil . I used a little Silicone Grease on the seal as it doesn't react with the oil and keeps the seal moist and up to doing the job required. The seal just pushes in to place, make sure it is evenly pushed home, as an uneven seal will shorten it's life and your Dizzy!!

Reassembly is reversal of removal! Yeah, where have we all heard that before!!! (Haynes???):-)

Good luck! Your Mission.....

Sorry I can't come and do it for you :-(

Any Problems you know where I am.

Regards
Dave M
1989 760 GLE Estate
193000 Miles and Still Happy at 80mph!!!