Thread: D5 (D5244T to 2005) - D5 mpg claims
View Single Post
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 22:01   #12
ianbr
WhyStillAnOptimistAtHeart

I have an 04 D5 which I have had from new and now has 163k on the clock. Over the years it has improved by around 5% from new and over the last year or 2 routinelly averages 40 or 41 ish. I typically do 400 miles a week (mostly to work and back on main roads/motorways). The trip computer started out life being approximatelly correct but over the last few years has settled to be around 10% optimistic compared to a brim to brim measurement. If you do take it down the motorway and cruise at 70 then it will return mid to high 40's over a long journey. If you slow down further then it will indeed get into the 50's (average speed zone roadworks on montorways can demonstrate this very nicelly) but I've only ever done this for any length of time once or twice when running low on fuel and being too mean to stop on the motorway.

Having said all of the above the claimed average EU consumption I think was around 43. My only real comparison of any length is to my wifes 207 with the 1.6 HDI engine. It's official EU average is around 60 but to be honest we only ever get 42-43 from it as an average (shortish journeys) and mid to late 40's from it on longer runs so on this basis I don't feel too cheated by the D5.
ianbr is offline   Reply With Quote