View Single Post
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 16:56   #1
StatusRed
Premier Member

Question Advice regarding car for my Mum

My Mum has a 1.2l 3 cylinder supercharged Nissan Note which she's had from new in mid 2014. It has £0 road tax but over the past year this benefit has started to be reclaimed in repairs!

It had a bill for over £500 to fit a new sensor to do with the variable valve timing, noisy auxillary belts, bushings going on the anti-roll bar and recently the engine light came back on regarding the valve circuit for the supercharger, we've managed to reset this and it's not come back on (yet) but my Mum is really starting to lose faith in the car and she wants to get rid of it..

I've been back home a lot this year (due to working from home) to help her out with it but this won't always be the case. So I'm looking for some advice regarding what might be the best option for my Mum? I've said she might be better off getting a car from a higher quality manufacturer (Volvo perhaps?!) because Nissans aren't what they used to be.

I've considered leasing a car, but these actually seem to work out quite expensive - If you wanted a Honda CR-V for example it works out about £13k+ over the course of 4 years and by that time you're driving a 4 year old car around you own £0 so all that money is down the drain.. Then I was thinking about getting a dealer approved used car with an extended warranty covering practically anything that might go wrong, what option do you think would be best and which cars would be good candidates?

Fundamentally she wants something not that old (max 4 years), that's reliable, petrol / hybrid, enough room in the back to have a large dog crate and has enough power to leisurely overtake. With some kind of "worry free" motoring package. - Max £15k?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post: