View Single Post
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 17:31   #2
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
My Mum has a 1.2l 3 cylinder supercharged Nissan Note which she's had from new in mid 2014. It has £0 road tax but over the past year this benefit has started to be reclaimed in repairs!

It had a bill for over £500 to fit a new sensor to do with the variable valve timing, noisy auxillary belts, bushings going on the anti-roll bar and recently the engine light came back on regarding the valve circuit for the supercharger, we've managed to reset this and it's not come back on (yet) but my Mum is really starting to lose faith in the car and she wants to get rid of it..

I've been back home a lot this year (due to working from home) to help her out with it but this won't always be the case. So I'm looking for some advice regarding what might be the best option for my Mum? I've said she might be better off getting a car from a higher quality manufacturer (Volvo perhaps?!) because Nissans aren't what they used to be.

I've considered leasing a car, but these actually seem to work out quite expensive - If you wanted a Honda CR-V for example it works out about £13k+ over the course of 4 years and by that time you're driving a 4 year old car around you own £0 so all that money is down the drain.. Then I was thinking about getting a dealer approved used car with an extended warranty covering practically anything that might go wrong, what option do you think would be best and which cars would be good candidates?

Fundamentally she wants something not that old (max 4 years), that's reliable, petrol / hybrid, enough room in the back to have a large dog crate and has enough power to leisurely overtake. With some kind of "worry free" motoring package. - Max £15k?
Toyota Auris hybrid estate/hatch. Toyota Corolla 1.2 manual estate/hatch.

I have a 2015 Toyota Auris estate and find it great. Auto. £0 road tax as pre April 2017. Bought for 13k in January last year. Got 1 year warranty included and paid £495 for a further 2 years warranty. So 3 years in total. You can extend the warranty until its 10 or 12 years old. Has to be dealer serviced. I have a service plan for 2 years, also includes free MOT test x2 as well as parts I believe.
Hybrid battery also covered if you have a hybrid health check annualy.

I believe if you buy say a 3 year old Toyota, you get the remainder of the 5 year warranty. But check.

Just be aware, Toyota Hybrids and other cars are being targeted by cat thieves. I have fitted an Ebay cat cover for £70.00 Newer cars like Corolla, cats have 85% less precious metals in the cat, so of less value. Yaris Hybrid, cat harder to get at.

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Jan 13th, 2021 at 17:46.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: