View Single Post
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 10:14   #25
Triple-S
How Old?

Thanks for waking me, Derek! In the aviation industry all aircraft wiring was white (at least, on what I worked on - commercials and helicopters) and their functions were confirmed by crimped-on labeling - wiring diagrams were by numbers and there were labels at every wire junction/joint/access point, so no confusion.
Unless one has had a car from new and done all ones own maintenance the purpose of every wire could be questioned, regardless of colour. The amateur probably doesn't have all the colour options on his wire rack when a wire needs replacing, thus causing difficulties far later in the vehicle's life.
Neither my 144 or 145 have that black box and I have naff-all knowledge of anything electric (I was a structures engineer and not allowed to touch anything electric), but one observation on slightly newer Volvo models is that it seems the basic loom installed at the point of assembly includes several 'spare' wires. These on 240s must be for optional systems some cars were to have or could be specified-with upon delivery, otherwise these wires just dangled about not connected to anything. Again, on aircraft if left in the loom the ends would be doubled back, sheathed and crimped over so as to avoid possible confusion down the line. Everything had to be completed to the same standard such that any engineer anywhere round the planet can find his way around the systems. So different in our short-life motor trade.....
My conclusion - totally rewire the ignition circuit under the bonnet to your handbooks wiring diagram, and remove that black box.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote