Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 09:24   #136
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's a good spares mule at that price. However it's comforting to know that the car i paid ~£200 for 4 and a bit years ago is now probably worth about £3k going on what is being sold on fleabay.
Granted it needed a lot of TLC and quite a few new parts at the time but it had that and more and has had anything done as and when needed. Still need to sort the air-con and oil cooler but i'm getting there. It's no longer fire-fighting, more preventive maintenance.
I'd agree about that 740 Dave, if one had a good 740 and a bit of room to store a donor car that didn't upset the neighbours too much then it would be a good buy at £260, but of course it would need trailering away (W London I think) so that might make it a bit impractical for most folk. It did cross my mind to buy that car, bring it here (I have a large enough drive for about 8 cars) and gradually strip everything off it that might be useful to the RB (certainly the auto box, probably the motor - maybe all sorts of other stuff that might be made to fit) then advertising the glass and removable panels here free to a good home before getting our local Romanian scrap bloke to take away the carcass. On balance it thought it might be a good project, but I thought my neighbours might object to a rotting carcass being picked apart on my drive for 6 months - and house prices in the street might have plummeted as a result :-)

Re your car: I'd certainly say £200 was a good price for a running and riding car, so you have done very well. If you accounted for your time (which none of us do of course) then it would probably have to sell for £8,000 to make it worthwhile, but that isn't the point.

I feel the same way about the RB, I paid a couple of grand for it, have spent £900 total on it (that includes two sets of new tyres though - by far the most expensive items), and I suppose it is worth considerably more than my cash investment now (I see 244s that are similar to the RB being advertised north of £6,000 - I have no idea whether they sell or not though). The RB is worth more than that to me though - not only have I invested a lot of time in the car, but I have enjoyed bringing it back to life and it is satisfying that it has become a really nice historic car that I could not replace for £3,000.

Alan

PS. This looks like a nice 240 saloon:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo240g...sAAOSwSYVfw3Ea

... it will be interesting to see what it makes so I'll watch it and report back. Similar-ish to the RB, except it won't qualify as an historic car for another 8 years.

PPS. talking of £6,000 244s, I have just noticed this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240...0AAOSwHHBfmT7F

... a Japanese import, which is good and bad, but it won't be an historic car for nearly a decade and is... £6,000 :-(

Last edited by Othen; Dec 6th, 2020 at 09:39.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: