Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 11:08   #138
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
My ethos is similar to yours, i couldn't replace it under £3k at least, possibly more and i've enjoyed improving it and using it.

That white 240 is interesting. Can you explain how you arrive at the 9 years before it becomes Historic please? Mine is about 6 months younger (88/F) and should be eligible in 2028 for Historic tax.
It has a lot of genuine Volvo accessories (driving lights, front dog lights, inside/outside temp gauge plus a few others i can't make out, mud-flaps, upgraded stereo? and possibly a few i've missed) and looks very nice.

That silver JDM import looks ncie but always a bit wary of them. Not heard any horror stories about JDM imports regardless of the marque but there are usually niggles to overcome from stereos that won't recieve UK broadcasts to sat-nags in Japanese with no UK maps or any way of changing them - obviously dependent on the year, tech fitted and so on but also have come across many cars where the parts are unique to the JDM models (mainly Honda) but strangely, once part numbers are found, those parts are available on the UK market for other vehicles including in one case the Gold Wing 1800 motorbike!

Whether Volvo had any bespoke JDM parts i don't know but at a time when UK parts are getting scarce, i would think any Japanese spec parts would be on the shelf between the unicorn horns and the rocking horse manure.

As for price, i've seen Rover 800s that are JDM imports. No matter how nice they are, they never seem to make the same money as genuine UKDM models that have been well looked after and are in similar condition with higher mileage.

Presumably the same will hold true for the 240 but until it sells and we know if it went for £5995 or not we won't be certain.
Isn't the white car a 1988? So it will be 40 years old in 2028 and qualify as an historic car the following April, which is pretty well 9 years time.

I had a Mazda MX5 Eunos once, which was excellent - no rust at all, which would have been almost unknown for a UK car of that age (1990 I think). It had lots of nice extras that were probably standard for the JDM. The imported Volvo looks nice, but £6,000 is a lot of money for an old Volvo.

:-)