Thread: Ecm-a02b
View Single Post
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 08:11   #2
petey
Master Member

I’ve both cut my ABS module open and resoldered the joints (which worked for two years) and then stripped and re-brushed the pump. My suspicion is that the pump was the fault all along, but by reducing the voltage drop across the connections from the pump to the module, I squeaked 20 month’s more time out of it.

VIDA has an ABS process in it, and from memory it ends up with the pump being forced on and you check to see if it actually runs. Mine didn’t, so I took the magnet housing off the pump and found more black dust than on the floor of a black dust factory.
Volvo, BMW, VW group and many more all use the same ATE pump and module. Volvo seem to feel that mounting the rotor in a single bearing at the bottom and a bush at the top is good enough; it isn’t, it leads to a lot of rotor excursion which destroys the brushes. I happened to have a Touareg ABS pump hanging about, so I replaced the brushes on my pump, and fitted the rotor with new bearings and magnet housing from the VW onto mine, and everything’s sorted now.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote