View Single Post
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 12:44   #3
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycey001 View Post
Hi all

I have owned many Volvo's in the past and am now wanting to get back into Volvo ownership and really want a 240 estate. I used to have a 740 which was a bit rough and the interior was falling apart.

Are the 240s generally better screwed together? Its a 1989 Auto with a 2.3 engine - how strong (assuming half decent servicing through its life) will this combination be and what are the most common things to expect with it?

I have read through the pages on the forum and nothing major seems to be popping up other than wear and tear things... am I missing something?

I will be driving across Europe in it a few times a year, if you guys were doing journeys like that in a 240 what items would you replace before a trip and what spares should be carried??

Thanks in advance.
J
You'll receive lot's of opinions based on preference, and many will talk about interiors falling apart on 740s - well if you abuse a car then the interior will suffer, the headlining will need replacing on a 740 but then they do on many other cars.

I have two 740s and my interiors are fine, but then few owners that cared for their car is the result.

The 740 without doubt drives better (the 240 is based on the 140 and is an older design), and given the choice of driving a 740 to France or a 240 the 740 would be my preference (I have a 245 as well as 740s).

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote