View Single Post
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 19:31   #4
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycey001 View Post
Hi all

I have owned many Volvo's in the past and am now wanting to get back into Volvo ownership and really want a 240 estate. I used to have a 740 which was a bit rough and the interior was falling apart.

Are the 240s generally better screwed together? Its a 1989 Auto with a 2.3 engine - how strong (assuming half decent servicing through its life) will this combination be and what are the most common things to expect with it?

I have read through the pages on the forum and nothing major seems to be popping up other than wear and tear things... am I missing something?

I will be driving across Europe in it a few times a year, if you guys were doing journeys like that in a 240 what items would you replace before a trip and what spares should be carried??

Thanks in advance.
J
For the last 10 years I have a 1989 240 glt automatic estate . I paid £350 for it and it had 159,410 miles when bought and 8 months MOT. Now on 234,000. For 8 years was my only car and covered 10,000 miles a year on average for 8 years.

Apart from routine servicing and age related consumables, ie exhaust, on second system, issues have been the tail output bearing on the gearbox. Only time it has needed breakdown/recovery.
Gearbox started banging heavily against tunnel. used a 140 housing and new gearbox mount and prop centre bearing.
Still banging and found the gearbox cross member bent. A used one cured issue. Total cost £400. Happened around 220,000 miles.
Radiator replaced around 180,000 as gearbox atf cooler pipes sprung leak and garage couldn't remove pipes off old rad so replaced with a nissens rad.
Rad costs £60 ATF gearbox cooler pipes £50 new from FRF Volvo.

Renew complete cooling system on any old car if not done.

Alternator died at 195,000.
The engine is great a B230E mechanical bosch injection and no issues at all apart from servicing. Still original head gasket etc.
The real negatives is rust is taking hold. Had under floor outriggers welded once on drivers side 5 years ago and twice on passenger side most recently 2 years ago. Arches rusty and 2 holes need welding on passenger side door sill. Patch needed.
Heater fan is a weekend job to replace as dash has to be mostly removed.
I really like it as compared to the 940 turbo less to go wrong and totally dependable as no turbo, sensors etc to go wrong.

Negatives are compared to a 740/940 not as fuel efficient, or as comfortable.

18 months ago I bought a 1996 940 SE LPT auto estate and on the test drive amazed how quiet it was compared to the 240. I wanted more luxury so got a 940 auto estate with AC and ABS. Got the AC working and lovely in this hot weather.

Also had a 1986 740 GLE estate with B230K engine. My first car in 2002 and I loved it. The interior was red/pink and bought it for £425 had numerous broken door trim until I got lucky and replaced them from a scrapper. No issues then. Everything worked and I even converted the sunroof to electric from a 940. Had the car for over 5 years and was having trouble with revving itself and cutting out and bought a new corolla. Then got the 240 2.5 years later.

I would say try a 240 740 and 940!

James

Last edited by volvo always; Jul 14th, 2018 at 19:43.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote