View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 10:28   #4
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleswalker1 View Post
Hi All!

I'm new here and at the absolute end of my tether! I have an intermittent fault on my '08 XC70 (D5 SE).

On occasion it develops a stutter when accelerating/decelerating, almost like fuel starvation. It will also sometimes just completely cut out leaving me stranded (usually in the most awkward of traffic situations!!). when it does this it will usually restart after 5-10 minutesand many attempts. When it does restart it doesn't usually give me any more problems
Does this fault occur when engine is up to full temp and the engine bay is hot?

You state that it restarts between 5 & 10minutes, i.e. when heat is dissipating.

There are a myriad of electrical components/sensors that could also fail due to excess heat causing the engine to cut out.

I would ask on here if there is someone near to you with Vida ( the OE diagnostic system on a laptop) which you can hook up then go for a spirited drive and try to replicate the conditions experienced when it occurs and obtain some live data as to what components are doing what.

Did your garage not provide you with a list of stored fault codes?

As for the fuel filter/injectors opinion I would expect other symptoms of poor running to exhibit themselves if a filter or injector(s) were blocked but I'm no diesel mechanic.

I once had Citroen diesel with a blocked fuel filter which struggled to start, would barely idle and ran like it was on 2 cylinders...all the time not intermittently.

My old man had an Alfa 156 that would just stop. No fault codes, nothing. Took months to find. Turned out to be high resistance in the ECU to fuel pump connector giving a slight too low voltage cured by sand paper and a paper clip to tighten the connect pin.

It would be good to hear the final solution as so many people post then omit to tell what was the problem.

Good luck.

Last edited by 37 RUBY; Jul 17th, 2018 at 10:30.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote