View Single Post
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 15:34   #4
phutyle

I too have a 2010 V50.

What sound system do you have? Do you have an Aux In port?

Mine has the basic "Perormance" sound system and Bluetooth for calls only, and no Aux In port, so in order to connect my iPhone via bluetooth for music, I installed this FM Modulator (not an FM transmitter).

It's hard-wired into the FM aerial input at the back of the head unit, and gives you an Aux in. To access it, you tune your radio to a specific frequency. As it's wired in and powered by 12V, the signal is much stronger than any FM broadcast, so there's no interference at all. I comes with both 3.5mm and RCA inputs. I went with the RCA inputs, because I got one of these combined 3.5mm and USB charging ports.

I then ran the USB charging port off the wires to the cigarette lighter (neatly under the centre console, and behind the waterfall), plugged the RCA cables from the 3.5mm port into the FM modulator cables, and put it behind the waterfall.

Then I got a Firefly USB receiver. It's powered off the new USB port, and plugged into the new Aux port. It only handles bluetooth music, not calls, which is what I wanted as the car does the cals already.

When I turn on the ignition, the phone (which is conveniently mounted on to an Mophie magnetic wireless charger on the centre vents) automatically connects to the car for calls and to the Firefly for music, which is then sent to the head unit via the FM Modulator Aux port.

Finally, I have a bluetooth remote control mounted on the back of the steering wheel, so I can pause, play, skip back and forth tracks with my hand on the wheel. I use Siri for changing playlists or picking songs or albums.

Here's the only visible bit:

I haven't finished mounting everything properly, but when I do, that will be neatly mounted in the small tray behind the waterfall. I could put it in the armrest box too, where the OEM Aux and bluetooth goes. I wanted them somewhere accessible in case I ever needed to plug the Flirelfy out to reset it, but in 6 months of running it, I haven't had to, so really I could hide it behind the trim panel behind the waterfall and have it totally out of sight. I might actually do that.

Last edited by phutyle; Jul 18th, 2018 at 15:49.
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phutyle For This Useful Post: