Thread: Caravan earth
View Single Post
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 16:24   #5
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Would agree with most of the post but would make the following points:

- Pure Sine Wave inverters (which the OP is using) are usually of much higher quality than modified sine wave inverters and I've yet to come accross one that works in "anti-phase" as you describe, so they should be okay with RCD's, but as you say best to test.

- Ground Earthing spikes for generators are usually used when domestic wiring is connected to them (i.e. building or portacabin) and is there for equipotential bonding.
That's interesting Tannaton, every small generator I have had is always 110-110v across phases?
I used to connect generators to installations as you describe, the 17th edition requirements to do this were plain daft requiring disconnection of suppliers earthing arrangements and reconnecting isolated TT earthing via break switching!
I don't get involved now so don't know the 18th edition on generators supplying caravans but an earth stake would not normally be used unless the generator was remote with centre tapped earthing and TT earthed, normally connecting to the generator frame suffices but many don't realise the danger of protective devices not disconnecting due to limited current, a fire risk in a caravan...
I don't touch much domestic kit now but the last two, all be it cheap, invertors I had were also 110-110v between phases, newer stuff may have caught up I suppose?
Be interesting to see if one of the new invertors would run something with a choke or transformer.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.

Last edited by luggsey; Aug 27th, 2019 at 16:36.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote