View Single Post
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 15:56   #9
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS2000 View Post
Hi to all,

Thank you very much for the input.

I dont have a picture of the car but will try get one. Have to go to its garage to get one.

The car has the big square headlights and I have sourced a set at Polar Parts, but its for a 08 - 1980 on. When I send them the VIN they say it doesn't mean anything. Whell that's the problem. Need to know if the the car is before or after August 1980. You can find them for 1981 onwords very easy.

Sent a mail to the museum and hope to get some help.

Switching to round lights is also an option. Where can I source a complete set for a LHD car?

I have to check and see if the glass on those lights cames off and maby repair the reflectors. Will see.

Again, thank you all.

Carlos
If the lamps are the nearly square ones then the round lamps will fit, provided that you get the plastic carriers/surrounds for them. There are 2 turnbuckle clips on the bonnet landing panel that secure the carrier; undo them and the lamp assembly will lift out, but disconnect the lamp plug before doing so. I don't know how the larger rectangular lamps, as fitted to the 264/265 and the 244/245 GLE and very early GLT, are mounted, but you may also need a replacement grille.

The lenses may be secured with a series of clips that hold them on to the lamp housings; use a large flat-bladed screwdriver to lever them up, but put a towel under the assembly to protect the lens when it falls out.

You will lose the headlamp wipers but that may not be a problem.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote