View Single Post
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 22:42   #6
Martin Cox
VOC Member

This is lifted from one of my posts from about a year ago. It may be of some help.

"A classic symptom of too great a clutch clearance with the V70 is that the aircon will work perfectly for the first few minutes and then simply stop. When everything has cooled down again. it all starts working again; for a few minutes.

What's happening is that as the clutch coil warms up, it's resistance increases; the resistance of most metals increases as the temperature rises. As the resistance increases, the current through the coil reduces and with it the magnetic field it can produce. Eventually it cannot produce enough magnetism when hot to pull in the clutch and the aircon stops working. Needless to say the problem is worse in hot weather.

Fortunately the clutch on these compressors is adjustable. It's a long time since I've done it and my memory is a bit hazy as to the detail.

Basically there is a nut on the end of the compressor shaft that retains the outer clutch plate. You can undo the nut and there are three M6 threaded holes in the clutch plate that can be used with a suitable puller to pull off the clutch plate. There are some shims on the shaft and it's simply a matter or removing enough shims to restore the clutch plate clearance to normal and then putting it all back together again. Access can be a bit tight but it is doable. I'm sure you'll find a much better description than this elsewhere in the forum."

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto
2008 V70 2.4D

Last edited by Martin Cox; Jul 9th, 2018 at 22:43. Reason: Punctuation
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post: