View Single Post
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 20:41   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrickrick View Post
Well, interesting day, installed the original cluster and despite soldering, tightening etc no apparent change, so installed the similarly treated donor cluster with the same lack of result, went back to the drawing and tried to meter out some connections, decided just in case there was an issue with the d+ lead I ran a flying lead with the idea of putting in an illuminated rocker switch in one of the vacant slots but even with this touching on the C16 header it had no effect so hooked up a dash operated shunt, would not charge, nor would it with the same link that got me home which excluded the cluster as being the problem

Went back to the RAC chap and recalled his Thor hammer attack on the alternator before charge was established by jump lead so got the spare alternator out, a Volvo jobbie but working when stored, swapped over, reconnected as original and lo and behold I got the usual lights on the dash and charging when I started up, ended up 10 minutes late for a docs appt but I didn't think 25 mins for swapping alternators too bad got there and back with no problem and once I had replaced the panel lights in the docs car park had the pleasure of seeing both speedo and odo working

Needed tomorrow for shopping run and must make a last trip to the donor car Friday, thereafter will swap back to the original cluster to see what it now does but it appears there may have been both a dry joint problem and an alternator fault which I'll look into later.

Thanks fellow Volvonians, especially Dave, for all the assistance and moral support and fingers crossed this is a solid fix, then I can start thinking about sorting my blowing exhaust.
Glad you got it sorted Rick!

If i was a gambling man, i'd lay bets as soon as you remove the two screws securing the voltage regulator to the back of the old alternator and the regulator/brush pack pops out, you'll see the problem.

As for the cluster, i think that was another part of a different problem but may have contributed to the problem.

Lastly, i wonder if the battery was going that little bit flat and wouldn't kick the starter over?

On a slightly different subject, now it's running again, pull fuse #1 from the fusebox for a few minutes and refit before you next start the engine. You'll be surprised - and pleased!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote