View Single Post
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 11:45   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imck View Post
Thanks for all the comments above.
Further advice would be much appreciated following the latest developments which suggest I may have to scrap the car after only 89K miles ! !

A Volvo dealer has now looked at it as follows -

- Coolant pressure fell from 1.5 to 1.3 bar over 15 mins
- No external leaks
- No exhaust gases in coolant (therefore they say highly unlikely it is HG)
- They say ERG leak is not possible on this model D5.

So a crack in the block is almost the only possibility they can see.
They want to take the head off to look.

If they take the head off and find a crack in the cylinder they say they are not allowed to simply put the head back on (I am in France).
A whole new engine is the only way forwards costing £11K.

The car runs fine today so I see no point in taking the head off, finding a crack and then scrapping the car !

Incidentally the rad was replaced 2 months ago.

My questions are -
- could the leak be so small they are missing it (falls 1cm per 200 miles) ?
- is it really impossible to repair a cracked cylinder liner ?
- could it be in somewhere like the heater pipes and so small I am not seeing damp or a smell - how do I take a look at those ?

I simply find it incredible that this car may be scrap and am looking for any possible alternative ways forward.
An engineering shop might be able to fit a cylinder liner sleeve , but the engine would have to be stripped down . all depending on where the crack is. .

Nothing lost in adding a bottle of K-Seal which could well do the trick , it has lots of very fine copper strands which find their way into a crack and seal it with the compound in the stuff. It sealed the bottom of a liner in an engine I had where coolant was leaking into the sump .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333217179...3ABFBM_rrsxuFf