View Single Post
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 17:15   #16
skv70d5

I have a similar issue with my 2001 V70 D5. The only place I see it leaking from is the expansion tank cap, and it still does it after replacing the cap.

Something is causing the pressure to build up and slowly force coolant out in the form of steam over time. This situation also causes the engine to display a warning about not having enough coolant even though it does, because once the engine is cooled, and I take the cap off, the expansion tank goes from empty to some point above the sensor and max, depending on how much driving I have been doing.

Coolant pressure test remains at 1.5 bar after 15 minutes and gas test is negative.

Volvo garage but a monitor remark in my last service stating the the head gasket might need changing due to over pressure. I have put coolant leak seal in a couple of times already, and I am probably renewing my coolant every year or so with my constant topping up.

I really hope something cheap is causing this and not the head gasket as I am already putting off a ~€1000 repair for my steering, and it has been constantly losing oil through the turbo output for years causing me to already replace the intercooler as it became an oil repository before it started leaking.

If I could find a 10 year old V70 for cheap I would probably buy that and then scrap this one; however, repairing it is probably what will happen even though the repairs will probably cost more than what the car is worth nowadays.