View Single Post
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 09:37   #1
Mark647

Default Strange noise, worse when steering right - bafflesd!

Hi all, I’m new to this site and new to Volvos! I now own a 2006 silver S60 D5 185 Geartronic and absolutely love it.... but I have an issue! If anyone can shed any light on it, that would be great.

I noise can be heard at low Speeds, unsure how to describe it but it’s a rotational, rattly and maybe a grinding type noise. It’s very obvious when turning right and sometimes (mostly) present when driving straight but disappears when steering left. If you were to steer from left to right repeatedly, it comes on strong, on the right turn.

I’ve had it in the garage, expecting it to be something obvious but everything is in good order. No play anywhere in any steering/suspension components, etc and the engine/box mounts are all in good shape. No damage anywhere and there is good clearance around the engine with no signs of contact anywhere.

The noise can be replicated as explained when in neutral but rolling, so I would guess it’s not gearbox related. Under load, the car sounds very ‘throaty’, more than I’d expect so am putting this down to the unknown noise under load.

Power steeeing pump seems fine too with correct fluid level.

Garage baffled as to what it is and so am I!!

Any thoughts welcomed!

Thanks 😎
Mark647 is offline   Reply With Quote