View Single Post
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 17:25   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchael6 View Post
Ok thanks very much.

I’ve just had a proper look again and I can see there’s clearly some coolant getting out where the heater hose goes into the lower heater matrix copper pipe. There is a wet area around where it comes out of the firewall. I have tightened up the jubilee clip a good turn and a half. There isn’t any leakage that I can tell when the car is sitting. So hopefully it just wasn’t tight enough and when the cooling system was pressurised and hot it was leaking out.

The cap I bought was the green one. Which I think is 1.5 bar.

I dipped the trans fluid and it was not contaminated but the car hasn’t been parked down hill overnight.

Thanks
Hopefully you've found the leak on the heater matrix hose on the bulkhead and it's not something nasty like the heater valve (NLA) or the heater matrix itself (you might wish they were NLA when you have to change it apparently!) and the blue/green cap is indeed 1.5 bar. See if you can find a black/grey one which is 1.1bar (23psi and 16psi respectively) and better for the cooling system, especilly if there are weaknesses beginning to creep in. If you can't find a Volvo one, search for a Rover 827 cap, same thread and 1.1bar and usually cheaper, despite being mechanically identical to the Volvo one, just cosmetically different.

If you can park the car facing downhill and then dip the trans dipstick, if there is any coolant in there you should find it that way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: