View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 13:16   #10
GerryS

I sometimes carry 6 bikes! 3 on a Thule towbar mounted carrier (I have a detachable towbar for towing a boat), 2 on roof carriers (Mont Blanc Scott, bought cheap on Amazon) and one smaller bike inside!

The towbar carrier is by far the easiest - it's simple to mount it on the towbar, the bikes can be fitted fairly quickly (though can be a bit of a squeeze getting 3 full size ones on - handlebars, pedals can get in the way if you don't think about what you're doing). But it also tilts easily to allow access to the boot and has a number plate and lights. I also take it off or secure it with a lock when I'm parked - I'm probably paranoid, but there's nothing to stop anyone walking up and unscrewing it from the towbar...

The roof ones are easier to use than you might think, but depends on the weight of your bikes. Much, much easier if you've got side steps on the car. You obviously become much more height limited.

I had a rear carrier (the one that mounts on the hatch/bumper) on a previous car and never really trusted it, especially after I didn't tighten the straps the right way and nearly lost the whole thing off the back on a dual carriageway!! I then changed to roof mounted and after the first few trips being a bit wary, became extremely confident in them.

I occasionally carry a single bike in the back of the car for convenience, but I wouldn't recommend it if your bikes are going to get dirty...

Gerry
GerryS is offline   Reply With Quote