View Single Post
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 12:23   #39
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
My favourite Golf had to be my supercharged Mk2 in Tornado Red, huge (£s) spec, built by Mike Spence Motorsport in Berkshire. The 16v (my Jetta 16v was Helios Blue) was ok, but you had to be revving it for any advantage over the 8v.

Although I did enjoy my MK1 1.8 in Mars Red, bit of a roller skate - my 205GTI 1.9 was pretty good though, probably one of the best was my Citroen BX16v in white - a very rare sight today.

Jon.
i agree in re 16v being pretty indiscernible from 8v in normal use, but wen they were on cam they flew, had many flat out in fifth when i was young and daft. the supercharged one sounds fantastic, i think you did get a lhd golf rallye with the g60 supercharged engine? mate had a corrado g60 with tweaked blower and it was quick.

i owned e36 m3 evo, porsche 928 s4, fiat coupe 20v turbo and various quick saabs and volvos but i always remember my second vr6 engined mk2 golf being the quickest, most useable fast car i owned in feel anyway. it had a slightly tuned corrado 2.9 vr6, full mk3 front clip with big brakes , 5 stud wheels etc, it was a proper expensive conversion and just looked like a standard 16v down to the badges. if i recall, it put out abour 220hp and a load of torque, but that is PLENTY in a golf!!

i have always fancied finding a clean mk3 golf vr6 for a daily smoker, i think they were only around 180hp but big engine, small car is always a nice, relaxed feeling of power...
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote