View Single Post
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 15:10   #20
Tatsfield
Premier Member

My 2012 doesn't have stop/start, which is just great by me. I like the auto wipers and, unlike the auto wipers on my previous cars of 15 years, the sensitivity setting at least allows me to have some influence on the way the things work. I also like the automatic headlights and the automatic rear view mirror dimming. I love the ability to totally close all the windows and the sunroof from the key fob. I didn't realise how great this was until I drove in the USA where this feature is banned but total opening is allowed and can be accidentally triggered but not rectified without getting back in the car and doing it all by hand! I love being able to drop the rear seat headrests from the dashboard. I like the automatic heating of the rear mirrors when the rear screen is demisted.

I also like the automatic gearbox but I'm not impressed with engine braking when Sports Mode is engaged. You have to brake the car to a slower speed before the gearbox gets the message which is a step back from my previous cars which had more sophisticated ZF auto boxes.

I like the automatic release of the EPB although I hate having to fasten my seat belt before it can work. That is decidedly Nanny Volvo. The position of the control is not very user friendly but I have developed a method of engaging the brake with my toe!

I love the automatic memory adjustment of the drivers seat but feel that not having the same for the passenger is somewhat cheese paring! Even my last cars had that over 15 years ago!

I don't like the fact that the seat heaters automatically come back on at the previously selected setting regardless of changes in the weather since last using the car. They ought to automatically turn off when the ignition is turned off and not come back on again unless demanded.

I love the way you can open the tailgate from the driver's seat but I cannot wait to get Evgeny's replacement module so that I can also shut it again without having to get out of the car and walk all the way to the back!

So, on balance, I like the labour saving gadgets and if any of my adverse comments can trigger the development of modification kits to make the stuff work as I would have preferred Volvo to have supplied it, then I'd like that too!

Sorry, that's a much longer posting than I had intended to write!