View Single Post
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 22:29   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I had a 2003 SE - one of the very first sold in the UK. Part service history, 184k miles, I owned it 6 years, the longest I've ever kept a car.

To be honest - it was fair. Whilst I now understand these cars front to back and top to bottom, it was at a point in its life where age is overtaking mileage as the problem. The engine and gearbox were superb, faultless and totally reliable but things like the back near side door didn't always lock, the power steering was stiff when cold, CD number 4 didn't work and just made grinding noises.

So I put it on ebay in May at £1,800 will a full 12 month MOT. Was honest about a slight front suspension knock and propshaft joint worn. Whilst I'd loved it, it had been a working vehicle and the bodywork showed it was 17 years old and the interior was undamaged but shabby.

Sold for the asking price in 4 days - much to my astonishment.

My 35,000 miles a year are now shared between a 2015 XC60 (which is lovely) and a 2013 Ford Ranger (which is well designed but build quality is utter ****e). If I had the time to maintain one myself I would go back to a XC90 tomorrow, probably a 2012 with the 200BHP engine or a late 2005 - last of the 163's. It wasn't just a car it was part of the family. Whilst it was demanding towards the end, the modest monthly depreciation I now pay indirectly was way more than the repair costs of keeping it going and going well.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 20th, 2020 at 22:33.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: