View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2018, 14:17   #1346
alanoconnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfr View Post
What did i do today. I had to relay some flagstones around my pool terrace. We have mega ants here in my part of france. They ate the cement out between the flags and then dug so many tunnels in the sand under them that some of the flagstones collapsed. When i lifted one of them i got a bit of a shock as there was a twelve inch adult viper coiled in a recess under the flag. We get lots of grass snakes which are a lot bigger, but vipers or adders are best avoided.
They are not very big but are all muscle and can easily kill a dog. My pool is gated so my dogs cannot get near it.
I had to put the snake on a long shovel and then relocate it into a plastic container. After a short drive down to a forest I released it. Hopefully it hasent got a sat nav and it wont find its way back. We get reticulated whip snakes as well which are beautiful quite aggressive. They have no venom, but their defence is to coil and then spring up in the air , hissing. A bit unnerving to a guest form the uk that has not seen one before. It usually results in a change of underware!
You should get a cat. Or you can have mine if you want - free. It keeps jumping on my head at 3.00 am thinking I am its prey.
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alanoconnor For This Useful Post: