View Single Post
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 10:04   #17
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
But how do you calibrate oil level gauge? You probably need vida dice?
If it helps, I've just serviced my VEA T2. I have aftermarket diagnostic kit which reads the engine oil level sensor, but you can use Torque Pro or Car Scanner apps as well.

I started by reading the oil level from the engine sensor, which in my case was 39mm and had not changed since the last dealer service.

I then drained the sump and oil filter into a drain pan, and measured the quantity of oil removed, which was just over 5.2 litres (bearing in mind after decanting and measuring a film of oil still remained in the drain pan and measuring jug).

Replaced the sump plug and filter, and filled the engine with 5.0 litres of oil. Ran it for a couple of minutes to fill the filter and check for any leaks, then left it to cool down.

Then I used my diagnostic kit to monitor the engine oil sensor in real time, whilst adding oil 0.1 litres at a time and waiting for the sensor reading to stabilise at the new level each time. It stabilises fairly quickly owing to the viscocity of the 0W20 oil.

in total, 5.3 litres of oil took the level back to 39mm. I have driven the car for almost a week since the oil change. The electronic dipstick still reads "OK" and no other warnings have appeared.

Caveat: I don't know if my diagnostic kit recalibrates the oil level sensor at the same time as it resets the service message. There is no indication in the software notes that it does so, but I know that the oil reset for my Ducato using the same kit both resets the service message in the BCM and the oil degradation counter in the ECM, which are two distinct functions in the Fiat dealer software.

Obviously the oil level and oil quantities will be lower for the diesel VEA engine ;-)
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post: