View Single Post
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 23:23   #8
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
I've really not spent any time worrying about hybrids or electric cars. This post got me wondering; have automotive OEMs tried to reinvent the wheel as far as connecting 220 v AC to cars, the same mindset that has made many hybrid/ electric cars look totally stupid styling wise ? Toyotas and Hondas in particular.Boats have had perfectly reliable AC supply plugs and sockets for decades.
If you are referring to connecting a narrow boat to shore via a 16amp ac supply then no, they haven't reinvented the wheel for the sake of it. The design of the type 2 plug/socket combo does far more than a 3 pin 16amp connection. It needs to be able to lock in (amongst other things to stop someone stealing your cable), it needs to be able to charge at way more than 16amps/3.7kW (fast chargers can go up to 50kW - using 3 phase of course so 400v), it needs to be able to detect that it has been connected etc....

So the socket needs to be a lot smarter than a blue 230v/16amp connector or even a red 400v/32amp connector.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote