View Single Post
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 16:01   #29
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Thanks Tannaton.

The weather was fine today so I got stuck in.

The bolts were bloody tight but I got them all out ok with a 1/2 inch drive and hex socket.

I managed without removing the suspension bar that is covered in the video and found that by having the car on axle stands I could use the trolley jack to get the driveshaft and lower arm level. This allowed me to get the socket straight on the awkward bottom bolt without having to use a flexi joint or wobble bar.

I checked with ECP and the SNR was the most expensive that they do for the rear and that came in at £109 with discount . Apparently linked to SKR but time will tell. Certainly not a cheap one and I feel a bit safer guarantee wise seeing as they are on my doorstep.

I would say that I was done in under an hour allowing for a cup of tea and fortunately the ABS sensor was undamaged .

Cleared the error messages off and all seems well after a good test drive.

I wasn't worried about doing it I had just got into the mind set of " I can't be bothered". This morning I felt differently so decided ton do it myself.

I had done all the rear brakes when I bought it so knew that the disc, caliper etc would come off ok. I had already put new Volvo shoes in as well as the adjuster kit so that was all fine.

The driveshaft was very free in the splines and pushed back easily and the hub itself came off with a few good whacks from a club hammer.

All in all an easy straightforward job BUT I know that I have been very lucky in so far as nothing was seized on mine which made the job so much easier.

Thanks everyone for help and advise and I can enjoy a cool beer tonight knowing that I have saved myself quite a bit of money.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 18th, 2019 at 16:07.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: