Thread: D24TIC - D24T timing belt change
View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 19:46   #3
tfb

I did some experiments this evening by pushing on a set of bathroom scales held against the wall and I could easily apply 200lb of force. The breaker bar we had was 24" long and our locking tool was about 36" long. I would guess that we applied at least 400lb/ft of force. However, I think I will double check it - better safe than sorry.

I did my usual 180 mile commute today wtihout any problems, the water needed topping with half a pint by the time I got home, so hopefuly the last of the air bubbles are out now.

At work we do subcontract some metal works to a small engineering firm. I think I'll take some measurements of the pulley and get them to make up a plate to fit and have a chat with my local tractor mechanics about borrowing a big torque wrench (mine only goes up to 200lb/ft).

Yep, the nut with the long bolt through it is missing on my alternator mounting bracked, the alternator is just bolted straight on the bracket arm, not sure if I have a bent or straight arm and it's too dark and cold to look now!

Once again, thanks for your help

Regards

TFB
tfb is offline   Reply With Quote