Thread: Broken Spring
View Single Post
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 19:40   #12
boggymarsh
XC70 2008 D5 SE

Please can I make you aware of the problems I had when fitting aftermarket products when replacing the front shocks and springs on my XC70.

I did a lot of research into finding the best parts and ended up ordering Sachs shocks and springs as these came recommended. At the same time I replaced the top strut mounts with Lemforder products. Everything I ordered was confirmed as being correct for the car yet I could not understand why the from end was raised substantially. I took the car for a fifty mile drive in the hope that it would settle but needless to say this was not to be. The steering had become vague and the car felt quite unstable.

In frustration I took it to the main dealer who were equally perplexed. They too confirmed that the parts were correct replacements and told me they were perfectly acceptable replacement parts. The workshop had my car for two days and even having compared Genuine parts with the Sachs could not suss out what was happening and could not get the car to sit correctly. In the end I told them to fit the Genuine parts so I could get the car back in the road.

It was an expense that I did not want and now have the Sachs springs and shocks sat in the shed collecting dust.

My advice... fit genuine parts and save yourself hassle!
boggymarsh is offline   Reply With Quote